July 3, 2009

Today's limited supply splitcoast challenge was to create a card using digital images or die cuts, no stamping was allowed- we were able to color our images and computer generated sentiments were allowed. In addition we were to use no more than two embellishments. Well, this challenge was right up my alley. I just recently discovered the world of digital images and I really like them, especially the free ones ;) Like my husband always says, 'If it's free, it's for me'! (Hi Eric!!! He always reads my blog ;)

The free digital image that I used for my card below can be found here on momtoggk's blog: Crafting in Croatia

Anyway, here are two cards that I made for today's challenge. In the first card I printed the image and colored it using my SU markers. I really spent a lot of time coloring this image. I printed out two images and I was able to color and cut out a second butterfly (that I placed below the sunflower). And I cut and colored the center of the large purple flower and I placed it right over the center, but sort of off a bit. If you look closely you should be able to see the darker purple layer behind it.

We were allowed to add embellishments, but only two. I ended up not adding any embellishments because I sort of felt that my card was busy enough.




My second card here is a free Hydrangea Digital Image from momtoggk (on splitcoast). Here's the link to her blog, where I got this image from: Crafting in Croatia I just love this image and it's so easy to color and I thought it would be perfect for a square card. I've uploaded a few pictures to show you how I colored my image. I start by coloring my image using the lightest color following with the darker colors next.


Here I've finished my coloring and In this picture I wanated to show you what my image looked like before I started my sponging. The picture isn't the greatest (sorry about that) I forgot to turn off the flash on my camera. I'm not sure if anyone else does this (I guess it's not a new idea), but I think the sponging sort of helps to blend the colors.


I then use a small sponge and my SU ink pads. I take the sponge and dab it onto my ink pad and then using small circular motions I rub the sponge onto my image where I have colored it purple. I do this so that the sweeping strokes from coloring with my markers are not as noticeable. It helps to blend my coloring.


I did the same thing with the leaves using the two greens- certainly celery and old olive. It doesn't matter here if the sponging goes outside of the lines because I was planning on cutting out my image. Finally, I added some white highlight dots using my white gel pen and some squiggly lines along the outside border of my card.

My sentiment is computer generated. Yeah, I know I'm a bit ahead of myself here with the Grandparent's day sentiment, but I figured I would get a head start. That's one of those holidays that comes upon us so fast. Again, I didn't add any embellishments because I felt that my card really didn't need any.
Pin It

3 comments:

laos348 said...

I really like what you did with both of these images. Your coloring is spectacular!

Kim said...

Wow Patty, that is gorgeous. I love the way you colored those flowers - beautiful!

NinaB said...

Those images really pop out. Beautiful work! Thank you for making my simple illustrations come to life on your cards. May I post your cards on my blog?